I'm proud to say that we out-rowdied a stag party on the flight there. Proud. Both parties were more than subdued on the return flight home.
With this being my fifth visit to Barcelona, I wanted nothing more than to eat tapas, drink cold beer and sit in warm sun. Not particularly cultured, but sometimes you just need to recharge the batteries and stay out of the museums.
On previous visits I've been to pretty much all of Gaudi's masterpieces, seen the Picasso museum and mostly every building of interest in between, so I'd say I'm entitled to now check out the beach and burger bars of Barcelona now, no?
I can report that a good time was had by all and I am so happy to be a resident of the European Union that allows me to 'pop over' to Barcelona for the weekend with a group of friends. The ironic thing is that it's cheaper and quicker to fly to Barcelona than it is to drive home and see my family in Berkshire. What is up with that?
My carbon footprint right now is ridiculous.
Here's a few snaps from a fun weekend! We:
* Started the weekend with beers on our friend's patio at their apartment - the first of MANY BEERS
* Ate in bar Muy Buenos on Carrer Carme - just off La Ramblas
* Drank in Bar Resolis on Riera Baixa
* Walked from Para-lell on Saturday to the marina then hit the beach
* Walked to the big bronze fish then on to Olympica
* Got the metro to Jaume 1
* Ate tapas in the El Born area near the Picasso Museum (a great area to wander around) while listening to live musicians in the sunshine - bliss
* Walked back down La Ramblas to get changed and head back out
* Ate dinner in Casa Delfin
* Bar hopped all the way home - buying cans of beer from street sellers when no bars were in sight
* Had breakfast in the sunshine before racing back to the airport on Sunday morning
* Slept on the plane home.
Here's to making the most of weekends!