Sunday 19 August 2012

5 Things you MUST do in Barcelona! #1 - Magic Fountains

I love these five things posts, here's five reasons why I love these five things posts:

1. You know what you're getting - five things
2. Normally I like things in threes, but three isn't always enough

Yep, I've run out of reasons. This is awkward. Well I started this post with the intention of shoe-horning all these things in one post, but I've decided to split them out in to separate posts. It's my blog and I'll do as I please :)

ANYWAY! I was in Barcelona a few weeks ago and had an incredible week. I realised that quite a lot of people tend to go there on a city break for maybe 3 days/2 nights, but we were lucky enough to go there for a week. Barcelona is expensive, so you have to know how to play it.

1. Magic Fountains of Montjuic - They're called magic fountains for a reason ok? It's a free water show that takes place between 9-11pm. So basically, you think 'Oh right, well I'm short of cash and I quite like a water fountain anyway, so I'll pop along and check it out.'

You get the Metro to Placa Espanya and see some fountains in the middle of a huge roundabout and feel a big anticlimax. BUT WAIT! Those aren't the fountains you've come to see! Turn left and you'll walk up an avenue that is lined with loads of fountains.

- It's at this point you realised you forgot to pee and there's A LOT OF WATER AROUND THAT IS NOT HELPING. Uh oh.

Make your way up to the top and you'll be greeted with a huge crowd all staring at a giant water fountain. You're underwhelmed aren't you? Well take a look at these photos and see what I mean! My camera is 100% not waterproof, so I couldn't take too many as the spray is everywhere from the fountains!





But being that far away isn't fun and you can't really hear the excellent music that plays in time with the jets. Move closer and prepare to get soaked. Now that's the fun part.



 

Great fun and all without spending a penny. However, it will leave you needing to spend a penny if you forget to pee beforehand.

I'll always treasure the memory of Queen's 'Barcelona' starting up and everyone just going crazy to it getting absolutely soaked. You definitely don't need to pay loads of money to have the most fun.

Fountains of fun! Here's a link to the site with more info on times and dates of shows etc.


1 comment:

  1. I went so see these with my family when I was about ten. It was the year after the Barcelona Olympics so that song had been everywhere... I thought it was the most amazing experience ever! Need to go back :)

    ReplyDelete