I'm not allowed to say Kenya anymore because I've been talking about it so much I've been banned from saying it out loud.
What a difference a week makes. I spent one week in Kenya and I went with absolutely no plans other than to make the most of a week away from my desk.
It was easily one of the best weeks of my whole life! Everything just fell in to place and worked out so well, I met some amazing people, some amazing little people and visited amazing places.
In one week I:
- Navigated my way around Mombasa alone on public transport
- Hand fed a giraffe
- Drank countless Tusker beers and tequila shots
- Met 15 amazing children at Lunahome Children's Home
- Raised £600 in donations from friends and family back home for Lunahome
- Spent a very pleasant afternoon drinking whiskey in a safari park and playing cards
- Ate roadside chicken and regretted it
- Blagged my way into a 5 star hotel saying it was my birthday
- Had an average of 4 hours sleep a night
- Sang 'Sweet Child of Mine' on a micrphone with the first butch Kenyan lady I've seen
- Learnt even more Swahili and managed to argue with a tuk tuk driver in Swahili :)
- Feel even deeper in love with Kenya
I just loved being there and feeling so independent. It helped that this was my third visit, but I felt smug for some reason when chatting to people who were flying there and had no plans to leave their resort. As they were being bussed there in their air-conditioned buses, I was in a tuk-tuk on my way to the supermarket to get some fruit and Top Deck chocolate - do you remember Top Deck? White chocolate and then milk chocolate at the bottom? Anyway, I digress.
Here's a few picture highlights of my trip:
That's all for now, but trust me, you haven't heard the last about Kenya on this blog :)